How to Measure for Roller Blinds
How you measure for roller blinds will differ depending on whether you are fitting them inside or outside the window recess. Learning how to measure blinds is a vital step in the process of buying and fitting your roller blinds. It can seem confusing but we have made it simple with our step-by-step guide below.
Measuring Roller Blinds for Recess Fitting
- Measure the width by taking three measurements across the window recess. From left to right, measure across the top, middle and bottom of the blind.
- Take a note of narrowest measurement, this is what you will use when ordering.
- Measure the drop of the window by taking three measurements down the length of the window recess. From top to bottom, measure the drop at the left, centre and the right.
- Note down the shortest measurement again, this is what you will use when ordering.
- Using the smallest measurement for the width and drop of the window ensures that your blind will fit even if your window measures slightly larger in certain areas.
- Enter your measurements and select “recess” on Unbeatable Blinds for a instant quote.
Note: Please do not make any adjustments or allowances yourself and be aware that when ordering recess fit Roller Blinds:
The fabric width will be approximately 3.5cm less than the overall width of the blind(which includes all mechanisms)
Example:If you have a width of 100cm the overall size of the blind will be 100cm from one side of the headrail to the other. The fabric itself will be roughly 3.5cm narrower to allow space for the mechanisms. We take 1.75cm from each side of the fabric meaning the fabric would be 96.5cm.
Tips on How to Measure for Recess Fitting Roller Blinds
- Use a metal tape measure – fabric tapes can stretch which will give an inaccurate reading.
- Measure at the position where your blind will be fitted to clear all window catches etc.
- Ensure you measure within any tiles or other limitations inside the recess which could affect the finished width of the blind.
- Measure your blind to the nearest mm.
- Measure all windows individually even if they appear to be the same size.
Measuring Roller Blinds for Exact Fitting
- Measure the height from the top to the bottom of the window.
- Measure the width of the window from left to right.
- When fitting a roller blind outside the window, we recommend that you add 20cm onto both the width and height to ensure that you have adequate coverage of the window when the blind is closed.
- We recommend adding a further 3.5cm to the width of the blind to accommodate the brackets.
- If the window sill protrudes more than 5cm it may obstruct the smooth operation of the blind. If this is the case it may need to stop at the sill level rather than dropping below.
- Now that you have calculated your width and drop measurements, enter them and select “exact” on Unbeatable Blinds for an instant quote.
Note:When ordering exact fitting roller blinds:
The width of the fabric is roughly 3cm less than the total width of the blind(which includes all mechanisms)
Example:If you order an exact fitting roller blind with a width of 100cm then the blind will be 100cm from the left side of the headrail to the right. The fabric width will be 3cm narrower at roughly 97cm. This is to allow space for the mechanisms.
Tips on How to Measure for Exact Fitting Roller Blinds
- Use a metal tape measure – fabric tapes can stretch which will give an inaccurate reading
- Measure all windows individually even if the appear to be the same size
By using our easy guide on How to Measure Roller Blinds, our customers have found it super easy, some have even shared their experience of measuring, ordering and fitting below:
Recess Fitting – Mrs C, London.
I measured at the three points shown and my three sizes were 1470mm, 1475mm and 1475mm, so I put in my smallest size of 1470mm and my blinds came back with an fantastic snug fit in to the recess. Unbeatable Blinds made all the necessary adjustments to accommodate for the fittings and roller mechanisms – great job.
Exact Fitting – Ms M, Glasgow
I wanted my roller blind to cover my full window and be fitted outside the recess. My window size was 1200mm, so I added a 200mm for extra coverage and then 35mm to accommodate the fittings, so in total my width was 1435mm, well out side the natural window size. On the height I added further 100mm, so that I could face fix and cover the complete window. My blinds came back absolutely perfect.
If you need further advice on how to measure for Roller Blinds you can contact our customer support team on 0333 321 4050.